Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, October 22nd, 2020
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Abstract: Cosmology Journal Club is back! We will be having virtual meetings this semester.
Each week, we start with a couple scheduled 15 minute talks about one's research, or an arXiv paper. The last 30 minutes will typically be open to the group for anyone to discuss an arXiv paper.
All are welcome and all fields of cosmology are appropriate.
Contact Ross Cawthon, cawthon@wisc, for more information.
Meeting ID: 93592708053, passcode: cmbadger
- NPAC (Nuclear/Particle/Astro/Cosmo) Forum
- Evidence for the Higgs boson decays to dimuons
- Time: 3:00 pm
- Place: Zoom : https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/91932930074?pwd=ZWJHaU02K2pHZCswZXJHdWx1Y2Vzdz09
- Speaker: Stephane Cooperstein, UCSD
- Host: Sridhara Dasu
- Astronomy Colloquium
- "Scaling Laws for Large Scale Magnetic Fields in Stars and in the Laboratory"
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: Zoom meeting(see Abstract ) Coffee and tea 3:30 pm, Talk 3:45 PM
- Speaker: Ethan Visniac, John Hopkins University
- Abstract: The turbulent generation of large scale magnetic fields is driven by the transport of magnetic helicity, which is robustly conserved in conducting fluids. Some simple scaling laws emerge from this. These can be extended by considering the relationship between shear and rotation in turbulent convection. This work can be directly applied to stellar magnetic fields for fully convective stars. Surprisingly, the same scaling laws seem to apply generally, even in the presence of stellar tachoclines. I will also discuss the prospects for applying these insights to laboratory experiments.
Zoom Meeting information:
Meeting ID: 817 5005 5728
- Host: Professor Alex Lazarian