Events at Physics
Events on Monday, March 11th, 2013
- Cosmology Journal Club
- An Informal discussion about a broad variety of arXiv papers related to Cosmology
- Time: 12:30 pm
- Place: 5242 Chamberlin Hall
- Abstract: Please visit the following link for more details:
Please feel free to bring your lunch!
If you have questions or comments about this journal club, would like to propose a topic or volunteer to introduce a paper, please email Le Zhang (email@example.com)
- Host: Peter Timbie
- Condensed Matter Theory Group Seminar
- Waiting time distribution and switching rate of a microwave photon detector based on a currentâ€“biased Josephson junction
- Time: 4:30 pm
- Place: 5310 Chamberlin
- Speaker: Amrit Poudel, UW-Madison
- Abstract: In this talk, I will discuss methods to compute the efficiency of a microwave photon detector based on a current-biased Josephson junction (JJ), which is either connected to a (driven) microwave resonator or driven directly by a classical microwave source. Here I consider the evolution of the system in the presence of the environment and tunneling events of the JJ to the voltage state. I will then discuss how one can use the waiting time distribution to compute the average switching rate of the JJ and the efficiency of the photon detector. Finally, I will present a preliminary result on the condition for power matching between the detector, which I treat as a linear oscillator, and the microwave source.