Events at Physics
Events on Friday, October 11th, 2013
- Theory Seminar (High Energy/Cosmology)
- The Higgs Boson in the Golden Channel
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: 5280 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Jamie Gainer, University of Florida
- Abstract: The "Golden Channel", in which the Higgs decays to four leptons via intermediate Z bosons, has played an important role in the discovery of the Higgs and in early measurements of its properties. I review the discovery of the Higgs in this channel and describe ongoing efforts to use this channel to measure Higgs couplings to Z bosons.
- Astronomy Colloquium
- "Exoplanetary Systems from Kepler"
- Time: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Place: 4421 Sterling Hall
- Speaker: Daniel Fabrycky, UC Santa Cruz
- Physics Department Colloquium
- Understanding the Higgs Boson
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: 2241 Chamberlin Hall (coffee at 4:30 pm)
- Speaker: Sridhara Dasu, University of Wisconsin Department of Physics
- Abstract: The July 4th 2012 discovery of a Higgs like Boson is a watershed event in the field of particle physics. The discovery of a particle and a field which is unlike anything else encountered at fundamental level requires stringent scrutiny. Rapid progress in understanding that discovery has been made with the more than double the data accumulated last year. More careful measurements await the upgrades to the accelerator and the experiment. The latest results from the complete data set collected and prospects for future will be discussed in this talk.