Events at Physics
Events on Monday, December 16th, 2013
- Theory Seminar (High Energy/Cosmology)
- Electroweak Higgs Boson Production in Association with Three Jets (A.K.A. VBF + 1 Jet) at NLO QCD
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: 5280 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Terrance Figy, The University of Manchester
- Abstract: I will present the computation of the next-to-leading order (NLO) QCD corrections to electroweak Higgs plus three jet production (EW H+3jets) within the Matchbox NLO framework of the Herwig++ event generator. Both vector boson fusion (VBF) and Higgs-strahlung type contributions are included along with all interferences. I will discuss features of our Matchbox implementation and show the impact of QCD corrections on kinematic distributions relevant Higgs boson studies at the CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
- Host: Yang Bai
- Condensed Matter Theory Group Seminar
- The effect of magnetic order on the superconducting gap in the co-existence phase of Fe-pnictides
- Time: 4:30 pm
- Place: Chamberin 5310
- Speaker: Alberto Hinojosa Alvarado, Physics Department
- Abstract: We study the structure and symmetry of the superconducting gap in the presence of spin density wave (SDW) order in iron-based superconductors. We specifically consider co-existing SDW and superconducting orders in a model with circular hole pockets and elliptic electronic pockets. We show that SDW order generally induces a spin-triplet component of the gap, in addition to the conventional spin singlet. We further show that, in some range of temperatures below Tc, the phases of superconducting order parameters on different reconstructed Fermi surfaces differ by an amount other than 0 or pi, i.e., superconductivity directly reflects the breaking of time-reversal symmetry by SDW order.
- Host: Natalia Perkins