Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, August 7th, 2014
- R. G. Herb Condensed Matter Seminar
- Collective Atom-Photon Interactions toward a Hybrid Quantum System
- Time: 10:00 am
- Place: 5310 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Jongmin Lee, Joint Quantum Institute (JQI), University of Maryland
- Abstract: The nanofiber-based optical lattices with a large optical depth have been demonstrated for 87Rb atoms using two-color evanescent optical trapping fields of 750nm and 1064nm lights. 87Rb atoms in our lattices experience light shifts (to the blue) on 5P3/2 to all upper transitions, and the absorption profile is shifted to the blue. In addition, the ellipticity of a HE11 mode leads to strong Zeeman broadening, both on 5P3/2 and 5S1/2, due to the vector light shifts. This inhomogeneous broadening based on light shifts, atomic temperature distribution, and population redistribution was studied.
In addition, a dual-wavelength high-finesse cavity system having homogeneous atom-cavity coupling and high cavity finesses (180,000 for 780nm and 120,000 for 1560nm) has been studied for the collective atom-cavity interactions such as the spin-squeezing for atomic sensor applications, the macroscopic self-trapping behavior (quantum simulation) toward the macroscopic Schrodinger cat state generation, and Raman lasing with atomic gain medium toward a sub-Hz linewidth laser will be addressed.
- Host: Mark Eriksson