Events at Physics
Events on Monday, May 1st, 2017
- Plasma Physics (Physics/ECE/NE 922) Seminar
- Advances in Stellarator Optimization
- Time: 12:00 pm - 12:55 pm
- Place: 2317 Engineering Hall
- Speaker: Dr. David Gates, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, USA
- BAUTZ LECTURE
- Physics Of The Stochastic Excitation Of Stellar Modes
- Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Place: 4421 Sterling Hall
- Speaker: Peter Goldreich, CALTECH
Internal properties of stars with convective envelopes are determined by analyzing the frequencies of their acoustic modes. After a brief introduction to observational techniques, I will describe the emission, absorption, and scattering of sound inside a star and how the waves ultimately escape through its photosphere. Then I will demonstrate how these processes account for some remarkable regularities revealed by observations of solar modes across 3 orders of magnitude in angular degree.
- Host: UW Astronomy Department
- Cosmology Journal Club
- An Informal discussion about a broad variety of arXiv papers related to Cosmology
- Time: 12:15 pm - 1:15 pm
- Place: 5242 Chamberlin Hall
- Abstract: Please visit the following link for more details:
Please feel free to bring your lunch!
If you have questions or comments about this journal club, would like to propose a topic or volunteer to introduce a paper, please email Amol Upadhye (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Host: Josh Berger