Events at Physics
Events on Monday, April 8th, 2019
- Plasma Physics (Physics/ECE/NE 922) Seminar
- Observation of nonlinear coupling between Kelvin-Helmholtz and drift wave instability in IMPED
- Time: 12:05 pm
- Place: 2241 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Prabal Chattopadhyay, Institute for Plasma Research (India)
- Abstract: The unique control features of Inverse Mirror Plasma Experimental Device (IMPED) enables production of magnetized plasmas with variable radial density, potential and electron temperature profiles over a wide range. The radial density and potential profiles are tailored to simultaneously excite Kelvin-Helmholtz and drift wave instability. These instabilities are observed to interact nonlinearly with each other leading to the formation of side bands. Bispectral analysis has been used to experimentally confirm the nonlinear coupling. The side bands are usually asymmetric in nature. However, the extent of asymmetry, i.e. the ratio of the power of the left to the right side band is controlled experimentally, which occasionally leads to symmetric side bands. The method of excitation and control of these instabilities and the probable mechanism of power distribution in side bands is presented.