Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, March 11th, 2021
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Abstract: Cosmology Journal Club is back! We will be having virtual meetings this semester.
Each week, we start with a couple scheduled 15 minute talks about one's research, or an arXiv paper. The last 30 minutes will typically be open to the group for anyone to discuss an arXiv paper.
All are welcome and all fields of cosmology are appropriate.
Contact Ross Cawthon, cawthon@wisc, for more information.
Meeting ID: 93592708053, passcode: cmbadger
- Student Social Hour with Physics Colloquium Speaker
- Student Social Hour with Physics Colloquium Speaker Dr. Brian Nord
- Time: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Speaker: Dr. Brian Nord, Fermilab
- Abstract: This is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to meet informally with Physics Colloquium speaker Dr. Brian Nord (Fermilab).
Note that the Physics Colloquium given by Dr. Nord is 5 March 2021, and all students are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Host: Keith Bechtol
- Astronomy Colloquium
- " A Collage of Exoplanets on the Mass-Period Diagram"
- Time: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Place: Zoom meeting (see Abstract ) Coffee and tea 3:30 pm, Talk 3:45 PM
- Speaker: Ji Wang, Ohio State
- Abstract: I will talk about different populations of exoplanets and their interconnection. Specifically, I will present chemical composition measurements for hot Jupiters and directly-imaged young jovian planets, in an attempt to answer questions such as how stellar chemical composition controls the planet formation; how the difference of planetary and stellar chemical abundance reveals the history of orbital migration. In addition, I will highlight the recent progress in comparative planetology by contrasting (1) small planets with different densities and structures; and (2) Earth-size rocky planets vs. gas dwarf planets in the habitable zone. These comparative studies shed light on the origin of the diverse outcome of planet formation and the search for biosignatures with current and future facilities.
- Host: Ke Zhang