Events at Physics
Events on Friday, March 26th, 2021
- Theory Seminar (High Energy/Cosmology)
- Gamma-ray flashes from dark photons in neutron star mergers
- Time: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Place: For zoom link, sign up at:
- Speaker: Gustavo Marques Tavares, University of Maryland
- Abstract: In this talk, I will show how dark photons can lead to a very bright flash of gamma-rays immediately after a binary neutron star merger. This presents a new promising avenue to explore dark sectors through multi-messenger astronomy in the gravitational wave era.
- Host: Lars Aalsma
- Graduate Program Event
- Faculty/Grad Student Summer RA Meet & Greet (Virtual)
- Time: 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Place: Register here:
- Speaker: Faculty/Grad Students, Looking for Summer 2021 RA's
- Abstract: Join us on Friday, March 26th at 3:30pm (in place of the usual weekly coffee hour) if you are interested in taking a new student as an RA or if you are a graduate student looking for an RA this summer. We know that since we have been virtual for an entire year now, and also the fact that we have a few new faculty on board, many of you may not have met each other in the same way you would have in the good old days when we were all together in Chamberlin Hall. The virtual meet and greet event will aim to help first or second/third year students who have not yet secured an RA for Summer 2021 with the process of meeting faculty who are looking for RA’s this summer.
For the virtual event, we will start out in the zoom room together by going over a few logistical details about the summer RA process followed by breakout rooms for each faculty member or research area. Faculty members who wish to be in one breakout room together, please email me individually and we can be sure those logistics are sorted out in advance. Everyone who plans to attend should register in advance to get access to the zoom link and meeting information.
- Host: Michelle Holland, Graduate Program Coordinator