Events at Physics
Events on Tuesday, March 28th, 2023
- Faculty Search Committee Meeting (closed)
- Time: 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
- Place: 3290A Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Paul Terry, UW-Madison
- Abstract: Closed meeting to discuss personnel matters—pursuant to Section 19.85(1)(c) of the Wisconsin Open Meetings Law
- Host: Paul Terry
- Network in Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries (N3AS) Seminar
- Dirac Neutrinos & Spectral Distortions to the Cosmic Neutrino Background
- Time: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Place: Meeting ID: 912 3071 4547 NOTE: All participants and hosts are now required to sign into a Zoom account prior to joining meetings hosted by UC Berkeley.
- Speaker: Evan Grohs, NCSU
- Abstract: The neutrino sector in particle physics and cosmology contains many unanswered questions. The mechanism which generates neutrino masses still remains a mystery, and as a result so does the nature of Dirac versus Majorana character. In addition, cosmological parameters estimate the energy density of the neutrino background and have little to say about the shape of the relic spectra. In this talk, I will focus on two applications of neutrino cosmology: populating Dirac states in the cosmological neutrino background via anomalous magnetic moments; and leveraging primordial abundances and cosmological parameters to infer neutrino spectral distortions. Although independent, both tracks offer paths forward to investigating the nature of neutrinos in cosmology and particle physics.
Meeting ID: 912 3071 4547
NOTE: All participants and hosts are now required to sign into a Zoom account prior to joining meetings hosted by UC Berkeley.
- Host: Baha Balantekin