Events at Physics
Events During the Week of June 21st through June 28th, 2020
- No events scheduled
- Network in Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries (N3AS) Seminar
- On the minimum radius of very massive neutron stars
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Speaker: Sophia Han, Ohio U.
- Abstract: Prospects of establishing the radii of massive neutron stars in PSR J1614-2230 and PSR J0740+6620 from NICER and Chandra observatories hold the potential to constrain the equation of state (EoS) of matter to densities well beyond those encountered in canonical stars of mass ¡ 1.4 M¢Á. In this work, we investigate the relation between the radii of very massive neutron stars up to the maximum mass, Mmax, supported by dense matter EoSs. Results from models with hadronic matter are contrasted with those that include a first-order hadron-to-quark phase transition. We find that a lower bound on Mmax with an upper bound on the radius of massive pulsars serves to rule out too soft quark matter, and an upper bound on Mmax with a lower bound on the radius of massive pulsars strongly disfavors a transition into too-stiff quark matter appearing at low densities. The complementary role played by radius inferences from future gravitational wave events of inspiraling binary neutron stars is also briefly discussed.
- Host: Baha Balantekin
- Department Meeting
- Time: 12:30 pm
- Place: Virtual - coordinates to be sent soon
- Speaker: Sridhara Dasu, UW-Madison
- NOTE start time: 12:30 PM for THIS meeting only. Wednesday, Jun 24, 2020 12:30 pm | 1 hour 30 minutes | (UTC-05:00) Central Time (US & Canada) Meeting number: 120 774 4353 Password: tSJSfTdH348 (87573834 from phones) Join by video system Dial email@example.com You can also dial 220.127.116.11 and enter your meeting number. Join by phone +1-415-655-0001 US Toll +1-312-535-8110 United States Toll (Chicago) Access code: 120 774 4353
- Host: Sridhara Dasu, Department Chair
- Department Coffee Hour
- Time: 3:00 pm
- Abstract: Join us weekly for an informal virtual coffee hour! Catch up with others in the department, tell us how things are going, and impress everyone with your Zoom background skills.
Coffee Hour is open to any and all faculty, staff, and students in the department.
- Host: Department
- Atomic Physics Seminar
- Virtual AMO Seminar Series
- Virtual AMO Seminar — Title TBD
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: register for the Zoom link at:
- Speaker: Jonathan Home, ETH
- Abstract: see for info