Events at Physics
Events on Friday, April 8th, 2016
- Theory Seminar (High Energy/Cosmology)
- Fermion masses and mixings in F-theory GUTs
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: 5280 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Gianluca Zoccarato, Instituto de Fisica Teorica, Madrid
- Abstract: In this talk I will discuss the structure of Yukawa couplings in local SU(5) F-theory models with E7 and E8 enhancement. In these models the whole flavour structure for the MSSM charged fermions is encoded in a small region of the entire compactification space. While only one generation of quarks and leptons acquires mass after taking into account non-perturbative effects the other two families acquire a mass which is hierarchically smaller compared to the mass of the first generation.
I will show that there is a unique model embeddable both in E7 and in E8 with a good hierarchical structure for the fermion masses. Finally I will discuss the structure of the CKM matrix for this particular model.
- Host: Pablo Soler
- Physics Department Colloquium
- Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: 2241 Chamberlin hall
- Speaker: Daniel Holz, University of Chicago
- Abstract: We will provide an overview of LIGO's first event. The signal is consistent with the merger of two black holes of 30 Msun each at a distance of 400 Mpc. We will discuss some aspects of the detection, including parameter estimation, tests of general relativity, and astrophysical constraints.
- Host: Dan Chung