Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, April 4th, 2013
- R. G. Herb Condensed Matter Seminar
- Specific heat and magnetization studies of Dy<sub>2</sub>Ti<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>
- Time: 10:00 am
- Place: 5310 Chamberlin
- Speaker: Jan Kycia, University of Waterloo
- Abstract: Dy2Ti2O7 is a material with a pyrochlore lattice of corner-sharing tetrahedral. Crystal-field effects constrain the magnetic moments of the rare-earth ions to point along the axis connecting the centres of the two neighbouring tetrahedra. As a result, the magnetic moments are highly frustrated and possess a ground state containing a large residual entropy similar to water ice. Because of this similarity to water ice, the system is called a spin ice. Recently a very interesting perspective has been developed in which the thermal excitations in the magnetic spins are viewed as magnetic monopoles. In this talk, I will review some of the progress in understanding spin ice and the monopole picture. I will discuss my group's results of specific heat, ac susceptibility and magnetization measurements.
- Host: McDermott
- Astronomy Colloquium
- Time-Domain informatics and Smart Data Analytics in the Era of Large Astronomical Surveys
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: 4421 Sterling Hall
- Speaker: Hakeem Oluseyi, Florida Institute of Technology
- Abstract: Current and upcoming large surveys for studying dark energy and the Lambda-CDM paradigm, such as the Dark Energy Survey (DES) and the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), will require reliable identification, classification and analyses of large numbers of transient and variable sources. One subset of these efforts are the near-field cosmology studies that map the distributions of Galactic stars in spatial-kinematic-metallicity-age space to test models of Galactic assembly and evolution. This talk will describe our work on developing new astroinfomatics techniques for taking advantage of the chromo-temporal data that will be available from the LSST and our current work with data from Kepler and LINEAR surveys.
- Host: WOWSA