Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, December 13th, 2018
- R. G. Herb Condensed Matter Seminar
- Quantum simulation: progress and prospects
- Time: 10:00 am
- Place: 5310 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Dr. Peter Love , Tufts University
- Abstract: Quantum simulation proposes to use future quantum computers to calculate properties of quantum systems. In the context of chemistry, the target is the electronic structure problem: determination of the electronic energy given the nuclear coordinates of a molecule. Since 2006 we have been studying quantum approaches to quantum chemical problems, and such approaches must face the challenges of high, but fixed, precision requirements, and fermion antisymmetry. I will describe several algorithmic developments in this area including improvements upon the Jordan Wigner transformation, alternatives to phase estimation, adiabatic quantum computing approaches to the electronic structure problem, methods based on sparse Hamiltonian simulation techniques and the potential for experiments realizing these algorithms in the near future.
- Host: Saffman
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Place: 5242 Chamberlin Hall
- Abstract: Please visit the following link for more details:
Feel free to bring your lunch!
If you have questions or comments about this journal club, would like to propose a topic or volunteer to introduce a paper, please email Ross Cawthon (email@example.com) and Santanu Das (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Physics Department Colloquium
- Holiday Colloquium
- Time: 4:15 pm
- Place: 2103 Chamberlin Hall
- Abstract: Pizza and beverages will be provided at 4:15 PM