Events at Physics
Events on Wednesday, May 20th, 2020
- Physics ∩ ML Seminar
- Building symmetries into generative flow models
- Time: 11:00 am
- Place: Please register for this online event: http://physicsmeetsml.org
- Speaker: Phiala Shanahan, MIT
- Abstract: I will discuss recent work to incorporate symmetries, in particular gauge symmetries (local symmetry transformations that form Lie groups), into generative flow models. This work is motivated by the applications of generative models for physics simulation, in particular for lattice field theory.
- Host: Gary Shiu
- Wisconsin Quantum Institute
- Career Opportunities in Quantum Technology at HRL Laboratories
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Place: RSVP here for the virtual event: https://careeradvancement.wufoo.com/forms/k1xv7t3u0r8aev5/
- Speaker: Thaddeus Ladd, HRL Laboratories
- Abstract: Speaker: Thaddeus Ladd is a career researcher in semiconductor-based quantum computing technologies. He received his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 2005 as a fellow of the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation, and after continued research in quantum networks and quantum computers at NII and University of Tokyo, Japan, he moved to HRL Laboratories, LLC in 2009 to more actively pursue Si quantum dot qubit technology, where he is now a Principal Scientist. Description: Thaddeus will talk briefly about quantum research directions at HRL, and then about the growing number of opportunities for research and engineer positions in quantum software and hardware, theory and experiment, including internships and staff, available at all levels from fresh out of college through late career. Some openings may be previewed at quantum.hrl.com. Thaddeus will also address the trade-offs of working at a private contracting company vs. other options, and a bit about life as a quantum scientist in Malibu. Please note that all career opportunities at HRL Laboratories require US citizenship or permanent residency.