Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, November 19th, 2020
- Academic Calendar
- Online - Faculty Spotlight: Masters in Learning Analytics Program
- Time: 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
- Abstract: Join Dr. David Williamson Shaffer, professor, curriculum advisor and area chair in the Department of Educational Psychology, as he discusses the future of the learning analytics industry and takes your questions. URL: ONLINE EVENT:
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Abstract: Cosmology Journal Club is back! We will be having virtual meetings this semester.
Each week, we start with a couple scheduled 15 minute talks about one's research, or an arXiv paper. The last 30 minutes will typically be open to the group for anyone to discuss an arXiv paper.
All are welcome and all fields of cosmology are appropriate.
Contact Ross Cawthon, cawthon@wisc, for more information.
- Astronomy Colloquium
- "Investigating the Signatures of Substellar Ingestion"
- Time: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Place: Zoom meeting(see Abstract ) Coffee and tea 3:30pm, Talk 3:45pm
- Speaker: Melinda Soares-Furtado, UW Astronomy Department
- Abstract: What are the observable effects induced by substellar ingestion? Do we have any hope of unambiguously detecting such signatures? In this talk, I address these open questions, describing my efforts to unveil stellar hosts that have ingested their substellar companions within open cluster environments. Such sources will offer valuable constraints to test stellar evolutionary models. Moreover, they will provide a rare opportunity to directly measure the bulk composition of substellar companions. I will describe the challenges of modeling the substellar disassociation process, particularly as it pertains to dense brown dwarf companions. I will review promising engulfment-derived chemical and rotational tracers. Lastly, to detect these cannibal stars, I will emphasize a need for targeted photometric and spectroscopic surveys among stars in open clusters.
Meeting ID: 885 1389 6776
- Host: Professor Ellen Zweibel
- Academic Calendar
- Masters in Learning Analytics Webinar
- Time: 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Abstract: Informational session to learn about the program. Learn more about the Department of Educational Psychology's new online graduate program. The session will cover program logistics, curriculum details, tips for applying, and will open to any individual questions. Note: Applicants who attend the webinar will have their $75 application fee waived. For more information on the program, visit www.learninganalytics.education.wisc.edu CONTACT: 858-337-5858, email@example.com URL: